When the unexpected happens, having private hospital cover gives you the peace of mind of knowing that you can take control of your treatment by choosing when and where you’re treated and the medical provider you see.
Our Hospital policies cover you as private patient in either a private or public hospital, helping you cover the costs of in-hospital treatment, like doctor fees, overnight accommodation, operating ward and theatre fees.
Want to learn more about hospital and medical costs? Read our simple explainer
|Basic Saver Plus Hospital
|Healthy Start Package (Basic Plus)
$50 per night Co-Payment max $250 per admission
|Bronze Plus Hospital
|Standard Hospital (Silver Plus)
|Premium Hospital Non-Obstetrics (Silver Plus)
|Premium Hospital (Gold)
|Hospital psychiatric services||Restricted||Restricted||Restricted||Restricted||Restricted||✔|
|Eye (not cataracts)||x||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Ear, nose and throat||x||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Tonsils, adenoids and grommets||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Bone, joint and muscle||x||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Hernia and appendix||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Male reproductive system||x||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Kidney and bladder||x||x||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Breast surgery (medically necessary)||x||x||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Diabetes management (excluding insulin pumps)||x||x||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Brain and Nervous system||x||x||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer||x||x||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Heart and vascular system||x||x||x||✔||✔||✔|
|Implantation of hearing devices||x||x||x||✔||✔||✔|
|Back, neck and spine||x||x||x||✔||✔||✔|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically necessary)||x||x||x||✔||✔||✔|
|Lung and Chest||x||x||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Podiatric surgery (provided by a registered podiatric surgeon)||x||x||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Pain management with device||x||x||x||✔||✔||✔|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure||x||x||x||x||✔||✔|
|Pregnancy and birth||x||x||x||x||x||✔|
|Assisted reproductive services||x||x||x||x||x||✔|
|Weight loss surgery||x||x||x||x||x||✔|
|Available without extras cover||✔||x||✔||✔||✔||✔|
Restricted Benefits - Covered in a public hospital with choice of doctor only. If treated in a private hospital, benefits limited to public hospital rates as set by the federal government.
|Accident Only Hospital
|Healthy Start Package
$50 per night Co-Payment
max $250 per admission
|Basic Plus Hospital
$250 $500 $750
$250 $500 $750
Nil $250 $500 $750
|Hospital psychiatric services|
|Eye (not cataracts)|
|Ear, nose and throat|
|Tonsils, adenoids and grommets|
|Bone, joint and muscle|
|Hernia and appendix|
|Male reproductive system|
|Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy|
|Kidney and bladder|
|Breast surgery (medically necessary)|
|Diabetes management (excluding insulin pumps)|
|Brain and Nervous system|
|Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer|
|Heart and vascular system|
|Implantation of hearing devices|
|Back, neck and spine|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically necessary)|
|Lung and Chest|
|Podiatric surgery (provided by a registered podiatric surgeon)|
|Pain management with device|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure|
|Pregnancy and birth|
|Assisted reproductive services|
|Weight loss surgery|
|Available without extras cover|
Need more detail?
Why choose CUA Hospital Cover?
No excess for kid’s hospital admissions
If you hold a Family or Single Parent policy, your kids are covered up until they turn 23 (or 25 if studying fulltime). If they’re admitted to hospital, the excess will be waived.
Avoid paying extra tax
All CUA Health Hospital Cover options meet the government criteria to avoid paying the Medicare Levy Surcharge or Lifetime Health Cover loading.
Talk to us in person
Have a question about your CUA Health insurance and want to speak to us in person? Easy! We’re part of CUA, so just drop into your local branch for a chat.
Access Gap Cover Scheme
The CUA Health Access Gap Cover Scheme helps to reduce or eliminate your out-of-pocket expenses for hospital treatment and takes the paperwork off your hands.
Waiting periods and pre-existing conditions Show content
When you take out health insurance for the first time, switch insurers or increase your level of cover, CUA Health asks that you wait a period of time before you can claim for new or higher benefits. Take a look at the table below to find out what waiting periods apply.
What is covered? Show content
With our private hospital cover you can be treated as a private patient in a private or public hospital. CUA Health has agreements with the majority of private hospitals and day surgeries where you will receive benefits for your hospital accommodation, including:
- accommodation for overnight or same-day stays
- standard single or share hospital accommodation
- operating theatre, intensive care and ward fees
- surgically implanted prostheses up to the approved benefits in the Government’s Prostheses List
- your choice of doctor or specialist
Please contact us prior to any hospital admission to make sure your hospital is in agreement with CUA Health.
What is not covered? Show content
- Hospital treatment for which Medicare pays no benefit, like cosmetic surgery.
- In some cases your doctor’s and/or specialists’ (radiologist, anaesthetist etc) fees may still be more than the Medicare benefit plus the CUA Health gap scheme so you may be required to make an additional payment. Please check this with your doctor before consultation or treatment.
- Gap payments may apply to certain prostheses (e.g. hip and knee joint replacements, artificial heart valves, pacemaker devices and intra-ocular lenses for cataract surgery).
- Any items of a personal nature, including TV rental or phone calls while in hospital that are not part of the agreed medical costs.
- You’ll need to pay any additional costs that are applied to any 'nursing home-type' patient admission into a public or private hospital. This amount is determined by the Federal Government.
- Experimental and some high cost or exceptional drugs.
- Services not invoiced by the hospital.
- If you go to an emergency room and are not admitted but the hospital still charges you for your visit, this charge is not covered and you’ll need to pay this yourself.
- Services able to be claimed by way of compensation or damages. CUA Health reserves the right to a full and immediate reimbursement of any claims covered by way of compensation or damages from another party.
- Services provided by a family member.
- Any treatment considered an outpatient service, e.g. Radium.
- Benefits for products, services or treatments purchased from or provided by practitioners overseas, whether you buy them in person, by mail order or online.
- Benefits in relation to sport, recreation or entertainment unless they are part of an approved chronic disease management or a health management program.
- Benefits for treatment, goods or services if false or misleading information is provided.
- Extras cover services for which a Medicare benefits is payable, except as allowable as hospital substitute treatment.
- Treatment, goods or services provided during a waiting period.
Ready to join?
Simply choose the cover that’s right for you. If you’re transferring from another provider, be sure to have your policy details handy and we’ll look after all the paperwork for you.Join now
Have a few questions?
If you have any questions about your health cover, you can take a look at our Health Insurance Frequently Asked Questions. Alternatively you can call us on 1300 499 260 or drop into your local CUA branch.